My personal feelings are that an antique is atleast 100 years old. In my online shop, www.mygrannysatticantiques.com, I classify items as follows:
- Antiques - 1904 and earlier, this includes most Victorian collectibles
- Vintage Collectibles - 1905 - 1949 (this included art nouveau and art deco)
- Mid-Century Collectibles or Mid-Century Modern - 1950's (depending upon the style
- Retro Collectibles - 1960's - 1980's
- Modern Collectibles - 1990's to present
This is just my own personal system of dating and naming antiques and collectibles and I don't expect the "professionals" to agree or adopt my little system. But you will also never find me calling a 30 year-old item an antique.
What do you think?